Thursday, May 26, 2011

Warnings

I like to keep up with the current weather conditions, mostly because I need to know what outfit will be appropriate and if I will need galoshes. However, there are times when weather is totally unpredictable. Ok, basically all the time but whatever. Back home, we had handy devices for such emergencies. They are called tornado sirens. A tornado siren will go off when a funnel cloud has been spotted in the area and you will know to take cover. My hometown is also semi-close to a nuclear plant so we have nuclear meltdown sirens (or something more professional sounding) as well.
Here, where there are more tornadoes than in my hometown, there are NO tornado sirens. They have lightening sirens. Seriously? Lightening is pretty obvious. It's a bright flash of light. Comes with thunder pretty often. Tornadoes are a little more sneaky. Or maybe they just seem sneaky to a person who is used to tracking the slow and obvious progress of hurricanes.
Last night, there was lots of lightening (no, I didn't hear any sirens) and wind and crazy weather. There's crazy weather all over the country. I was trying to go to sleep last night and I kept feeling like someone was creepily taking my picture through my bedroom window. Then I'd get nervous that there would be a tornado happening and I WOULD NEVER KNOW because there are NO TORNADO SIRENS HERE. You need emergency weather warning things for when people are not expecting dangerous weather, for example WHEN THEY ARE ASLEEP. Most people sleep indoors so the lightening is not going to effect them that much. You know what could seriously effect you? HAVING HALF OF YOUR HOUSE DESTROYED AND BEING SUCKED UP BY A FUNNEL CLOUD. That could really ruin your whole day. If not kill you.
But here, they're unconcerned. No sirens to wake me up and warn me to take the dog and run to the bathroom (where I will have to cover myself with a thick blanket because I have glass shower doors and that's the only completely interior room of my house) to cower in fear of my life. Not for the first time am I noticing Texas' Survival of the Fittest trend. It's dangerous here. And they won't warn you.

No comments:

Post a Comment