Friday, April 22, 2011

Lenten Promises

For the most part, I've kept mine. I had banana pudding on St. Patrick's Day (I gave myself a pass because a) it was a special occasion and b) I had PMS). But other than that, it's been Jello and fruit pops for this girl. And I've stayed off The Knot too. Yay me! But man, oh man, am I ready for a cookie. Or ice cream. Or cake, candy, and even the peanut butter mixed with chocolate chips my GA was eating in the office the other day. I want it. In honor of this auspicious occasion (the end of Lent), I am making something I love to eat and don't particularly enjoy making because it's messy and I want to eat all the ingredients: Krispy Kreme Donut Bread Pudding. Oh yeah. It's happening. One of my very favorite authors is Linda Howard and years ago I read a book she wrote called To Die For, featuring one of my favorite characters she's written, Blair Mallory. In it, Blair makes Krispy Kreme Donut Bread Pudding as a strings-attached gift, or as a thank you, whatever pleases her. I tried it one time and I wanted to do her bidding as well, after eating it. Now that I've talked it up, here it is... Krispy Kreme Doughnut Bread Pudding 2 dozen Krispy Kreme Doughnuts 3 eggs 1 can sweetened condensed milk Vanilla extract to taste ½ stick melted butter Cinnamon to taste (I'm allergic to cinnamon so I don't include it and it's still awesome.) Milk 1 c. chopped pecans (optional) Never used this. Nutmeg (optional) Used this Directions Use a 13x9 in. glass pan so pudding doesn't stick. Preheat oven to 350. Tear doughnuts into little chunks. Put the chunks into a large bowl. Beat the eggs. Add the can of milk and beat again. Add vanilla, butter and cinnamon and mix. Pour into the bowl with the doughnuts and stir. Add milk until it is the consistency of lumpy cake batter. Add pecans and nutmeg if desired. Pour into the pan and bake for 30 min. Check with a toothpick to see if it's done. Glaze with powdered sugar and milk icing.


Bonus feature: You can color the icing to suit your holiday. I'll probably do pastels in honor of Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment