Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I'm No Stranger to the Truck...

But trucks in Texas take it to a whole new level. An inappropriate, inefficient, excessive and annoying level, if you ask me.

Now, I grew up in a relatively rural area. It's about 30 minutes to the nearest mall and it was nothing special, so we usually had to make the 45 trip to a "real" mall. It's a small town. There are fields and farms and stuff there. People had trucks, even diesel trucks. I drove a (albeit small) truck for a brief period of time after I totaled my tiny Honda my junior year. And a few times, someone would bring a tractor to school. I dated guys who drove trucks. I even dated a guy who drove a large, loud truck. But nothing on the Texas level. And by not on the Texas level, I mean some of the trucks here could run over that truck and I had to hop to get into it.

The trucks here annoy me, quite a bit. They are loud. Tall. Huge tires. They can't see pedestrians. Or small cars. Or small SUVs. You can't park them. They look ridiculous. And gas is $3.50 and up. Usually up. Who drives these things?! Who wants to? I mean, look at this:


I see these, in multiples, EVERY DAY. In different colors, with color brush guards, mud flaps, tool boxes, etc. And you know what? Most of these people are college students. Who on earth uses their brand new, expensively tricked out (yeah, I went there) truck like this on a FARM? And actual farm. Doing work. Not many of them, I'm pretty sure.

So why do their parents buy them these things? They're so loud, use so much gas, cost so much money. And my second biggest pet peeve with them: They will not park in the lines. Or park straight. My biggest pet peeve? They drive like, pardon my language, a-holes. I don't know if it's because they can't see a darn thing because they're so high up or if they maintain the same entitled persona on the road as they do in college, but they stink at driving. But they should watch out. Just because my car is smaller, quieter, has fewer stickers of dead things and gets better gas mileage doesn't mean I'll continue to get out of their way. My car's pretty safe. It's already been nailed once and I wasn't even sore from that hit.

Let's face it: I'm older and I have better insurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment