Monday, February 21, 2011

Is that you, Summer?

I think it might be almost that time of year. My favorite time of year. When it's hot and sunny a lot. Back home, we had spring and we could kind of ease into those 100 degree, 90% humidity days. Here, in this part of Texas, we just go from 30 degrees to 75 and breezy beautiful in one day. A lot of people complain about the heat here and I can't say that I blame them. Lord knows I'll be griping with the best of them when I go hauling my dolly over to Rudder Tower full of presentation materials a few times a week. It's tough to present in a calm and professional manner, and feel capable of answering crazy questions thrown at you by parents, when you're cheeks are bright red and you're concerned that people can see the wet marks under your armpits. Gross, I know, but that's my summer reality.

I'm pumped though. I wore a skirt (AND shaved my legs, thank you very much) today just to feel the warm sun on my (pasty, winter white) legs. I'll wander a little more slowly when walking the dog (as opposed to the penguin shuffle, which is what I do when it's 25 and the wind is blowing 25 miles an hour and I have on so many layers I can barely move) and let her linger to sniff things. I'll walk her to the dog park and let her get stinky and dirty playing with other dogs. And perhaps the best part: Laying out by the pool.

I love the water. Love the sun. And I like being tan-ish. Plus, I hear the MOST RIDICULOUS stories at my pool. I'm an avid eavesdropper at places like this. I may have my (probably trashy) novel, but I'm totally listening to you. If you're going to talk so loud about how you think vodka has no calories because it's clear, it's hard NOT to hear you. And the guy-trying-to-impress-the-girl convo about your friend the hitman who went to jail? Probably not gonna work, buddy. That's shady and probably a lie. Your ex who wanted you to elope to Mexico? Fascinating. Who got drunk and hooked up with someone else boyfriend? Tragic and like a real life reality show. Bring it on. I'll be right there, trying not to laugh out loud or interrupt you to point out your incredible misconceptions.

For the record, I did recommend that they Google the nutritional information in vodka.

No comments:

Post a Comment