Friday, July 22, 2011

Texas Summer Heat

It's hot here. I don't know why that surprises people but apparently it does. It's southeast Texas in July. It gets hot. But every day I still here people complain about it. Filling the hot air with their hot air. There's nothing you can do about it, y'all, except move to Alaska. Of course, even there it's getting warmer than usual, like every other place. 

Here we've had our hottest month on record (June) and the driest weather on record from October to now. It feels nice when I walk the dog in the morning and by the time I leave for work, it's warm enough to make you sweat. If you're outside a lot then, which I'm usually not. However, I frequently have to walk (partway) across campus for presentations. I leave my cool office around 9:20 a.m. and get a little glow on while pulling the dolly. When I come back at 11, I'm in full on sweat. Needless to say, summers are not my most attractive season.

When I lived in hot, humid Charleston, you learned how to walk. First of all, it's old so a lot of the sidewalks are all crazy and uneven so you have to pick up your feet. Second, during the day, you find the shade. Depending on the time of day, one side of the street would have more traffic than the other. Third, you picked your own special pace. You found the speed of walking that worked for you: fast enough to create a breeze but slow enough to keep the sweat from pouring off of you. I still do the same thing here but when pulling a dolly, you sweat and there's no getting around it. 

And you'd think some of these nice Aggie gentlemen would offer to help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment